Countdown to MIFF 2020
View Trailers From This Year’s Films
Welcome to the Muscatine Independent Film Festival
MIFF is a showcase of Short Films and is designed to encourage and acknowledge the creative efforts involved with respect to this genre. Participants will enjoy a diverse array of film genres to choose from throughout the weekend, as well as “red carpet” receptions, Q&A sessions, and networking after parties.
MIFF is very supportive of local/regional artists, as evidenced by the “Best Iowa Made Film Category”. It is hoped that providing an awards venue will inspire their creativity and innovative artistic media. This event is also an effort to provide Midwest residents and visiting artists with an engaging weekend of entertainment.
A unique feature of our festival is the infamous “M&M AWARD” (Murder, Mayhem, and More). We are also debuting the “Micro-Short” Category. Telling a story in under 4 minutes is no easy task, but sometimes more is indeed less.
Muscatine Independent Film Festival 2019 Nominations
Best Student Film
Films produced by current students and/or those under 23 years of age.
Cordelia Moves In
Evil Acts, Freak Storms
Infidelity & Murder A Love Affair (in Brief)
The Red Neck Diaries
Winner – “Cordelia Moves In” – Written & Directed by Shannon Mulligan
Murder, Mayhem & More
(The Infamous Triple “M” Award)
Mature, Graphic, Horror, Suspense, etc.
Five Course Meal
A Talk With The Devil
Winner – “Five Course Meal” – Written & Directed by James Cadden
Humorous films intended to elicit laughter from the audience.
The Romance Language
The Red Neck Diaries
Winner – “Virginity” – Written & Directed by Raza Rizvi
Best Local Film
Films produced by a current resident of Muscatine Area (within 35-mile radius).
A Christmas Surprise
Take Me to Church
Red Neck Diaries
Winner – “A Christmas Surprise” – Written & Directed by Mike Ray
Science Fiction films that experiment with the ‘rules’ of filmmaking.
Mother of All Time
The Book of Faces
Winner – “Flava” – Written & Directed by Tarrell Christie
Best Micro-Short Film
Films under 4 minutes’ long.
At the Violet Hour
A Christmas Surprise
Winner – “Neptune” – Directed by Paul Robinson
Best Short Film—Best of Show
The MIFF screening panel’s best short film based on cinematic criteria.
Haunting the Haunted
Winner – “Haunting the Haunted” by John Gigrich
Distinctive Achievement Certificates
– Categories may include Cinematography, Music/Sound Design, Screenplay, Iowa Filmmaking/Acting,1st Time Filmmaker, & Student Filmmaking
- Comedic Video Production: Brycen Hatfield’s “Bad Noodle Club” web series including MIFF entry “Red Neck Diaries”
- 1st Time Filmmaking: Amber Krieg for “A Love Affair (In Brief)
- 1st Time Filmmaking: Drew Lawton for “Evil Acts, Freak Storms, Infidelity & Murder”
- Murder & Mayhem: Benjamin Schmidt for “Nocturnal”
- Experimental Horror: Rus Blemker for “Book of Faces”
- Cinematography: Seth Meyers and Sarah Stolar for “Bella”
- Animated Storytelling: Anita George and her Animation Team for “In the House of Paper Flowers”
- Original Song/Lyrics: Rob Cunliffe for “Leslie’s Gift”
- Comedic Writing: Wes Todby and Eric Lang for “Special Delivery”
- Miff Loyalty Award: John Gigrich for entering many films over the years
- Comedic Writing: Les Nelson & Jim Brockhohn for “Murphy’s Law”
- Screenplay/Writing: Jack Meggers for “The Burial”
- Screenplay/Writing: Elise Free and Bob Klein for “The Interrogation”
- Screenplay/Writing: Ralph Klisiewicz for “In The Driver’s Seat”
Daily passes to the festival are available at the screening theater for $10
Submit Your Film
The Merrill Hotel (119 West Mississippi Drive, Muscatine, 52761) is our host hotel for overnight accommodatinos and Friday’s afterparty. Call (888) 874-2883 or (563) 263-2600, and mention you are attending MIFF, and you will receive a special room rate of $109 for a standard King room.
This year’s awards are in Downtown Muscatine, right across from the hotel.
Contact Us With Questions
We want your film festival experience to the the absolute best it can be, so please contact us with any questions that you have.